Entry Point

Today I am grateful for the unique clouds and light in this morning's sky and for street lights to help me see my way as I walk our dog Oliver.

Consider these words from Kabir, a 15th century Indian poset and mystic:

"Wherever you are is the entry point." 

The entry point of a new day comes with eyes opening and feet hitting the floor. If I keep my eyes open and feel my feet strike the ground beneath me, I will stay fairly well grounded in the moment and whatever it is I happen to be doing.

The entry point I usually use at school takes me through the middle school hallway, so I start my work day greeting colleagues and students who have arrived early. My entry point into my office area takes me past most of the other offices before I reach my own. More greetings and the freshness of a new day. We know that a few hours later we may be feeling anything but fresh.

There are distracting entry points to be cautious of as well. My phone and computers I use for home and work require usernames, passwords, passcodes, and such. And then many programs and apps I use need these as well. Too many passwords, too many apps, too much screen time, and I lose that sense of being grounded to the earth, to the wider world.

And perhaps the most important entry point of all-what thoughts are entering my mind? Are they helpful or counterproductive? When I pause, exercise, pray, journal some gratitudes, reach out to others in recovery, all these help make my mind a safer place to enter. They help me begin my day well.

Presence. Here and now. Just being. Just breathing. Experiencing the moment. Good entry points.

Comments