The Way the Ball Bounces

Today I am grateful for arms and legs that work and allow me to do so many different things. I am also grateful for the way others in recovery from alcoholism share their recovery wisdom with me.

Acceptance is an important component of ongoing recovery, and of daily life for us all. I control my own attitude and actions. The rest is a process of accepting life on life's terms. More acceptance means wiser thoughts and actions on my part. Less acceptance means more struggle and frustration for me as I fight a losing battle against things I can't change.

The Minnesota Vikings playoff game yesterday against the Philadelphia Eagles was a good lesson in acceptance. After a solid and successful opening drive for the Vikes, not much went well for them and they lost 38-7.

A good sports-themed phrase for acceptance is "That's the way the ball bounces."  It didn't bounce the Vikings way much at all in the game. The Eagles got a piece of a pass that led to an interception and a touchdown. Twice, the Viking defenders were very close to tackling the Eagles quarterback, but instead he eluded the tackle and threw a touchdown pass. That's the way the ball bounces.

It sure would have been to see the Vikings playing in the Super Bowl in their home stadium, but it wasn't in the cards. Watching them lose didn't ruin my night, but it put a damper on it. Others may have been more devastated, while some don't even watch or care about football.

Still, there's a lesson for each of us in "That's the way the ball bounces." I still have to suit up and show up for life today. I can't leave it all to chance and others, but a good dose of acceptance as I proceed is most helpful.

I am showing up for the game of life today, ready to play, and also ready to accept that the ball will bounce my way some of the time, but not all of the time.

Comments