A Writer's Gallant Effort

Today I am grateful for solid rest last night for my family and I, after an exhausting few days. I am also grateful to be sitting in my recliner welcoming the sunrise this morning.

I will often see a phrase or get an idea for a blog post and then start a draft. Another idea may come up, or something else happens in the day ahead and a new idea takes precedence. Some drafts have piled up over the last months and year and I have challenged myself to revisit them randomly and see where they take me.

It's a writer's challenge. Be open to where an idea and the words that come will take me. So here is today's draft that will be brought to fruition, a quote from Brother David Steindl-Rast:

"Gratefulness is the gallantry of a heart ready to rise to the 
opportunity a given moment offers." 

A gallant effort. Some days just getting out of bed, or heading to work, can be a gallant effort, depending on our physical and emotional state. Gallantry is often used to describe bravery in battle. Personally, I don't feel like life is a daily battle, but there are things that I may battle daily.

Things like lack of acceptance, fear of failure, perfectionism and the pessimism it brings. Things like overthinking and overdoing.

Gallantry of a heart. Pluck. Mettle. Grit. Plugging away each and every day. That I can do. The habits that come from living gratefully allow me to make healthy choices like keeping a gratitude journal, exercising regularly, staying sober, writing daily, pursuing faith.

Some days those habits bring unexpected joys. On other days, they simply allow me to survive. Either way, they sustain and nurture me.

This draft post is heading to publish mode and this grateful person is heading into the rest of her day, moment by moment.

Comments

Post a Comment