Muddy Waters Clear

Today I am grateful for the awe stemming from the beautiful way frost sparkled on the trail this morning as I walked Oliver. I am also grateful for things falling into place for Sam and I last evening as we did some errands.

Add my health to the list today, and every day. As I walked into the cancer center I am a patient at yesterday for my annual check up, I once again felt the fullness of the deep gratitude I feel to be here, alive, well. Coming up on 10 years since my diagnosis, I try not to take my health for granted. I get a strong reminder each time I walk into “Cancerland.”

The ancient Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu provided us with many profound quotes. A well-known one is "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." As a runner, writer, and recovering alcoholic, those words have always resonated with me.

Here is another Lao Tzu quote that I was less familiar with:

"Who is it that can make muddy water clear? No one. 
But left to stand, it will gradually clear of itself."   

Oh, the wisdom in those words. Oh, the difficulty in letting muddy waters stand. I don’t know about you, but I too often want to get in there and fix things. Wait? Be patient? Too tall of an order for me too often.

Let me apply my expertise, my intelligence. Therein lies the problem for me. Wrong-sized ego adds more dirt to the water. Muddy waters, as well as conflicted feelings or a difficult question, don't clear up sooner if I keep stirring them up. They resolve and come to some clarity if I ask for guidance and give in to the natural process that needs to take place.

In other words, if I stay the heck out of the way.

Comments

Post a Comment