Accidentally Paying It Forward

Today I am grateful for a run after work yesterday with Darcy, and for a car to wash and a nearby car wash.

With the warmer weather, it's a good time to get one coat of grime and grit off the car before the next round comes. I was determined to get my car washed yesterday because I was tired of the dirty windows. I appreciated the remaining energy I summoned, even after a full day.

We have a coin-operated car wash less than a mile from us, so I went there. I was loaded with enough quarters and a few extras. I set the extras on a ledge near where I needed them. This car wash is cleaner and warmer than many, so I enjoyed the process of seeing the deeper blue color return to my car.

When I got home I realized I had left 4 quarters on the ledge. Oh well, the next person who came in probably appreciated them. I can live without the four quarters. It raised thoughts though of those who have no money, no car to wash, no home to return to. Whenever I can pause in my day to notice what I do have, I am most often humbled and get a good dose of gratitude too.

Accidentally paying it forward at the car wash has me thinking today about ways I can intentionally pay gratitude forward. Today and every day presents ample opportunities, from the obvious to the less obvious.

Join me today in paying forward some gratitude. Start now.

Comments