Too Busy in My Brain

Today I am grateful for several ways to stay warm, both indoors and outdoors. I am also grateful for the reminders to stay present in the moment.

I am coming off of a stretch of being too busy in my brain, but the slope remains slippery because of  two more significant work demands in the next week. I can only gain perspective when I stop spinning, when I start pausing mindfully, breathing, and taking one thing at a time.

That can be a tall order for me when I feel crunched for time, weighted down by things that need to get done. Resentments, fear, and my self-centered ego can all flare up. They don't help, they hinder.

So the mindful practice of gratitude becomes even more crucial. When I am too busy in my brain, I take myself and pretty much everything too seriously. Pausing, being quiet, focusing on the gratitude found in a simple breath I am able to take, or in the beauty of fall colors, or a laugh shared, can all help.

I wrote a post titled A Tool for the Trouble Behind My Eyes in March of 2013. It was good for me to re-read that post, and to be reminded of the "God" or "Worry" box.

I just put a couple things in there, to lighten my load, to slow my brain down, to return to the gratitude.

Here's a brief gratitude list to start my day off:

-coffee
-Oliver
-bananas
-a good morning kiss with Darcy
-warm water to shower with
-the ability to read
-shoes to wear

What is on your gratitude list today?

Comments

  1. - support
    - friends
    - where I live
    - family
    - my teachers
    - people who help put food on my table

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment