Saving Graces

Today I am grateful for our dog Oliver and his unconditional love. I am also grateful for my friends Sheila and Jill and the conversations we had yesterday. It is such a gift to have friends who listen and with whom I share mutual respect and trust.

A minor incident yesterday morning had me thinking about the idea of "saving grace" yesterday. Our computer charger cord sometimes falls behind our desk and it is a pain to get it back to where it should be. Yesterday morning I was switching the charger from my work computer to our home computer and the cord slipped off the desk.

I admit a swear word emitted from me. I was in a hurry and not happy to be taking the time to get underneath the desk and wrangle the cord back up. It is also harder for me to get in to small spaces these days, my joints protest more. I got under the desk and took a look. There were other cords, but not the one I was looking for.

I got back up and looked behind the desk. The charger cord was caught up in the printer cord and I easily reached it and returned it to the proper place. The other cord was a saving grace. Saving graces come in all shapes and sizes. It was a little one impacting my life yesterday morning, but it helped me see other saving graces as I moved through my day.

The saving grace that the friendship Sheila and I have had for decades has been for both of us as we have each faced life's challenges. The saving grace of a phone call with a parent that went better than I anticipated. The saving grace of a phone conversation with my friend Jill to help unload an overactive brain. The saving grace of a run with Darcy after work, and his forgiveness with my punchy tiredness later.

Such saving graces are really lifelines. Like the printer cord was a lifeline to catch the charger cord.

Notice and give thanks today for lifelines and saving graces. They show up every day. I just need to pay attention.

Comments