"Thank you random spectator!"

Today I am grateful for clean conditions and antiseptics. They are needed when toenails have to come off. I am also grateful for the music of Tom Petty. He and the Heartbreakers have so many songs I have appreciated over the years. R.I.P. Tom Petty.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those impacted by the appalling and tragic events in Las Vegas on Sunday night, especially those who are grieving the loss of a loved one and those who were injured.

I remain grateful for the many, many spectators who lined the marathon course and cheered on those of us running in Sunday's Twin Cities Marathon. Of the 15 marathons I have run, the Chicago Marathon and the Twin Cities Marathon are the best for crowd support in my opinion. Thank you Twin Cities!

The sign I wrote about yesterday-"Remember your reasons"-can be applied to much more than why a person chooses to train for and run a marathon. I was reminded of the significance of these words last evening as I talked with some other recovering people. I better, we better, remember our reasons to work on recovery. Otherwise, we may find too many reasons to drink again.

One other sign I enjoyed several times along Sunday's marathon route was one that said "Good job random stranger!" Each time I ran past one of those signs, I replied with a "Thank you random spectator!" Such signs and opportunities to say thanks were welcome throughout the course, and gave me little boosts just when I seemed to need one.

A simple sign. A simple thank you. Two strangers connecting in a small, yet kind way. The larger world and the smaller communities that we are each a part of could use more of that. Simple. Small.
Kindnesses. I will look for such opportunities today. Please join me.

Comments