Afforded a New View

Today I am grateful for daily recovery for the daily disease of alcoholism. I am also grateful for others in recovery who help me find my way back to some sense of sanity and serenity when I drift away from them.

I ran yesterday, on a stunningly beautiful fall morning, with blue skies and sunshine helping the vibrant colors come out more fully. I think it helped that my attitude and outlook were also improved, much like the clouds clearing and the sun coming out.

My brain, also known as my dearest alcoholic mind, had been running on too much selfishness, ego, and fear for days, and in some respects, weeks. It's subtle and creeping, but next thing I know I am overthinking and overdoing pretty much day in and day out. It ain't fun and it ain't pretty.

Before yesterday's run, some other happenings had helped me get some perspective back. A conversation with my friend Sheila on Friday morning and another with my husband Darcy on Saturday evening were both helpful. Ranting to a couple of recovery friends mid-week last week had allowed some of the toxicity to be weakened. Rest over the weekend also allowed a more calm approach.

And on my run, I paused to capture these photos, from a bridge on a new stretch of trail along the Vermillion River.  I am afforded this view because of the efforts of others. Those who secured funding for the project. Those who did the labor to complete it. And the Great Spirit who provides nature's awe.


The river flows, as it is meant to. It reminds me to go with the flow, to not try too hard and end up fighting the current. Go with the flow. And keep the gratitude flowing. 

Comments

Post a Comment