An Ongoing Gratitude List

Today I am grateful for marriage and motherhood and all that they each teach me and give me.

That gratitude list I started in yesterday's post? I decided that it might be a good idea to keep adding to it as my day went along.  So I did. I started more of a list on a piece of paper that I carried around in my pocket.

Here are some things on that list:

1. Indoor plumbing that made it easy for me to get ready for my day.
      -It's a luxury but I don't often think of it that way.

2. The stars in the morning sky and the awe they inspire in me.
      -The expansive sky and the stars in it also remind me of my human place.

3. Advancements in radiation and other cancer treatments.
     -I am thinking about my sister Leonice, who has started 25 radiation treatments this week.

4. A safe commute to and from work.
     -I drive 50 miles a day on average, and I appreciate arriving safely.

5. A meal with my family.
    - We try to eat together whenever we can. It is time together that I value and cherish. It was
       even nicer that someone else made the meal. (Thanks Darcy!)

Carrying gratitude throughout the day was helpful. It ebbed and flowed, but I gave it more time and energy than I do on many days, and it helped.

I will be taking a blog break over the next couple of days and plan to be back over the weekend.

And then this morning's "Word for the Day" at www.gratefulness.org showed up and seems like the perfect ending to this post:

"As I express my gratitude, I become more deeply aware of it. And the 
greater my awareness, the greater my need to express it."   
(Br. David Steindl-Rast)

Comments