Working Concessions, Making Concessions

Today I am grateful for rain gear and fried eggs. I am grateful of the reminders to appreciate the simple things in life.

Last evening, Darcy and I had the opportunity to work concessions at the Homecoming football game. We try to work a football game each season, supporting the wrestling club and Sam's involvement in that sport as well.  Despite a rainy and wet night, there was a good crowd and a victory for our team was a bonus.

We don't work concessions often, so it was a nice change of pace, and we enjoyed meeting and working with some parents we didn't know. It was also fun to watch and observe. Our world has changed in so many ways since I was buying concessions at games in my youth.

It was heartening to see the innocence of a young child, excited to get some treats, encouraged by their parents to make selections, and then do their own asking and paying, followed by a thank you.
It brought a chuckle to see kids digging wet and crumpled dollars out of deep pockets so they could enjoy a candy bar or popcorn.  Though exhausted in ways by the week I had, our concessions shift was a nice way to spend a Friday evening.

Working concessions also brought to mind the idea of making concessions. In busy times, I need to allow myself some concessions. Make some compromises on how I will spend my time, because there won't be enough of it for all I might like to do. Make some exceptions to my own high expectations of myself and remember that one of my priorities needs to be self-care.

Between working and making concessions, I am feeling some sense of balance. Moment by moment, I will try to stay in that sense by slowing down and experiencing the present.

Comments