Through the ears, into the heart and soul

Today I am grateful for the beauty of our first snowfall on the trees, and that it didn't cause travel difficulties in our area. I am also grateful for all five of my senses, especially my hearing this morning.

Some mornings as I do my gratitude journaling and blog post composing, I play some music on the computer and use Sam's hand-me-down broken Beats headphones to fully immerse myself in the listening experience. The only thing broken on these headphones is part of the headpiece. The sound is great.

But this isn't a plug for Sony, this is a plug for the joy of music. I can't sing worth a darn, so I usually reserve singing along to songs when I am alone. I am really good at listening to music though, and from a young age I have been a music lover. In my early years, I sat next to one of the speakers on our big console stereo and played my older siblings' albums.

Then I got my own vinyl. Then I got my license and eventually my own car. The car is still my favorite place to crank the tunes. With new technology, though, I also appreciate headphones and our laptop or my phone as listening devices.

I feel music viscerally. I can't speak for anyone else, but being an introvert and an inhibited and shy young person, I think music tapped into some of the emotions I wasn't able to find myself in my formative years. The music comes through my ears into my heart and soul.

Today's playlist included: Neil Diamond's "Holly Holy," The Bees Gees' "Nights on Broadway,"  Todd Rundgren's "I Saw the Light," and George Harrison's "What is Life?"

Gratefulness, though the music I love, flows freely in this moment.

Comments