Recovering

Today I am grateful for the gratitudes shared by others and for forgiveness-mine to give and receive.

People have asked me how my recovery from the marathon is going and some have noted that I seem to be moving pretty well. The Galloway method we use (walking of 30-45 seconds each mile of a long run) really works. Thank you Jeff Galloway!

It makes the marathon itself more manageable and it makes the days after far less painful. Marathon recovery is going well. I may even take a nice and easy run this afternoon to loosen up.

And how about recovering from alcoholism? That is going well too. It's a daily deal to deal with this daily disease.  It remains a priority and my early morning practices-including prayer, meditation, and gratitude practice-are vital to this ongoing process.

My job is demanding much time lately, as are family obligations. I am grateful for both, but they are also my slippery slopes. If I slide into overdoing and overthinking, recovery becomes precarious. Maybe not precarious in terms of wanting a drink, but precarious in terms of balance and emotional sobriety.

It only takes a few days to recover from a marathon. It takes a lifetime of days to keep recovering from alcoholism and the ongoing effects of an addicted mind.

It just helps to claim it as a priority, so I can continue doing what I need to do, tired or not.

Comments

  1. interesting that walking only 45 sec can help you with the many miles! I'm thinking that also applies to general health by taking vacations every now and then... something I need to practice, but there is so much to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there’s a lesson in short breaks helpIng us re-energize. In marathons and in a busy day.

      Delete

Post a Comment