Our Morning Walks

Today I am grateful for food in our refrigerator and for a roof over our heads. I am also grateful for our dog Oliver and the morning walks we share.

There is something to be said for routine, especially when those routines are healthy and contribute to balance in my days. Routines like going to bed and getting up at consistent times, regular exercise, writing in my gratitude journal, reaching out to others in recovery.

And add to that list the routine of my early morning walks with our dog Oliver. Most mornings, he and I head out somewhere between 5:00 and 5:30 for a walk that is less than 10 minutes. But we enjoy the fresh air and the time together. He takes care of his business and I enjoy the quiet and take in my surroundings.

The days are getting cooler and I need to put on some layers. I appreciate that I have plenty of layers available to me. The scents of fall are in the air. I give thanks for my sense of smell. My legs, continuing to recover from Sunday's marathon, enjoy the movement and stretching. Gratefulness flows through me as I consider the physical capabilities I am blessed with.

Oliver is predictable. Our route is predictable. The outcome is predictable. Oliver and I both enjoy our morning walks together.

Comments