A Tool for the Trouble Behind My Eyes

Today I am grateful for eyes that see and ears that hear. I am grateful for a healthier perspective on life via healthier thoughts. That is where gratitude comes in.

I have a serious thinking problem. I think too much, too long, too often, too exhaustively. Then I end up exhausted. Big surprise there. That area behind my eyes, also known as my brain, is the source of much chagrin, much worry, much wasted energy. It drove me to drink and it kept me drinking. It drove me to beat myself up for never being "enough."

I have had to train and re-train this brain to help keep me more sane. Gratitude has been a key player in my re-training program. From self-pity and negativity as my default modes, to more often feeling grateful and accepting life on life's terms. I talk frequently about the tools I use to cultivate gratitude: journaling, A-Z gratitude lists, gratitude letters, 3 x 3, and others.

But I have another tool for the trouble behind my eyes. I call it a "worry box" or "God box." It's a little box my stepdaughter gave me for Christmas one year. I just put little pieces of paper in the box.The crucial part is what I put on the pieces of paper before I put them in the box and "let them go." I write a fear, a concern, a worry, about someone I care about, a situation, or about myself. I sometimes include a prayer as I do this. I need to take such actions to help me let go, to help me "give it to God."

I am grateful for my friend Terry. She gave me my first "worry box."

There is no total cure for the trouble behind my eyes. But I can put the darn thing in pretty solid remission if I keep up my regular practice of gratitude. It's hard to feel sorry for yourself when you are counting your blessings.

Comments