Present Blessings or Past Misfortunes?

Today I am grateful for a working washer and dryer and the fact that I don't mind doing laundry. I am also grateful for the words of others that inspire and motivate me in so many different ways.

My current gratitude journal has daily quotes in it. Yesterday's quote was this one from Charles Dickens:

"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has plenty, not on your past
misfortunes of which all men have some."

Am I stuck in the past and regrets or am I living in the hope of today? Being stuck in the past is an energy-zapper. It darkens this day. But being aware of my blessings, big and small, brings light and a lightness to my step.

The other thought that comes to my mind when I read this quote is that I am not alone. If I get into the "poor mes" and dwell on how rough I have had it, how no one else could possibly understand, it's just another way to isolate and feel sorry for myself. I don't know about you, but isolating and self-pity are not healthy for this recovering alcoholic.

I would rather feel part of the stream of life. We've all had our gifts and we've all had our tough times. I am not being picked on. I am experiencing life. That helps me reach out to others when I need to, but also to reach out to others to be of support and service to them.

Today I will look for present blessings and try not to dwell on past misfortunes.

Comments