No Replacement Bulb Needed

Today I am grateful for the home we live in, the rooms that provide our living space and heat in the cold winter months. I am also grateful for this blog and the focus it gives me.

Speaking of our house, in the last couple of weeks I have had to replace four light bulbs in various places. Two of them were within a day of each other. After the first two happened, I was already considering the analogies that come to mind. When the other two happened, I knew I would be blogging about it.

The first was a 3-way bulb in a lamp in our family room. The second was one of our front porch lights. The third was in the basement stairwell. The fourth was a bulb in the lamp that sits near our computer desk, where I am usually doing my blogging and emailing.

I was reminded how dependent we are on electricity to provide light, and reminded of how fortunate I am to live where electricity is available and mostly reliable. I had to go buy one new bulb, but the others I had on hand. More gratitude. A car to drive me to a nearby store to purchase the bulb I needed. Changing a bulb is easy. Within seconds, problem solved. (No, I don't have any good "How many ________ does it take to screw in a light bulb?" jokes.)

And a firm reminder that habitual practice of gratitude provides a perpetual source of light and hope. The bulb of gratitude never needs replacing, as long as I keep "fueling" it from the gratitude source always available if I but pay attention.

Lessons from light bulbs. Have a good day!

Comments