Scattered Pride

Today I am grateful for the healthy pride I have, and what I have learned about unhealthy P.R.I.D.E.

I am also grateful for a phone conversation with my friend Jenny. According to my phone, it lasted all of 18 minutes, but it got us caught up on each other's lives at least some.

As I talked about yesterday, with the hectic days and some exhaustion, I have been feeling a bit scattered. But I like that word scattered today. Scattered gratitude and scattered pride. I'll take scattered pride over shattered pride, though I've known both. We all have.

Pride can be a pitfall, but it isn't entirely bad. The right kind of pride has us feeling good about our efforts and contributions. The wrong kind of pride has us taking too much credit or attempting to exert too much control.

Here's where some of that right kind of pride scatters:

*my husband Darcy and the supportive father he is
*my stepson Arthur as he prepares for his first grad school interview
*his fiance Alyssa as she prepares for her senior art exhibit
*my stepdaughter Emily as she works hard to manage two jobs
*my son Sam as he dutifully does his confirmation class and school assignments
*our 4-H group and others as we did our shift of packing meals at Feed My
Starving Children yesterday
*my co-workers as we take pride in our jobs and the school we represent
*school pride as our boys' hockey team heads to the state tournament and our
girls' basketball is one game away from doing the same

I continue to work on not exhibiting P.R.I.D.E. (Pretty Ridiculous Individual Directing Everything.)

I can only direct my attitude and actions. Today I am feeling scattered yes, but quite grateful too.And that gratitude tends to pull the loose ends back together.

Comments