Come Alive

Today I am grateful for a cooler morning breeze and for reminders of the peace found in acceptance.

I appreciated all the birthday wishes via phone calls, cards, text messages, emails, and Facebook. It was a pleasant day. "Better older than deader" continues to be my approach to birthdays.

Consider these words:

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go out and do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
(Howard Thurman)

Writing helps me come alive. Recovery and running do too. Talking with interesting people (in other words EVERYBODY I get the opportunity to talk to) also expands my experience and the livelihood that comes with paying attention, real attention.

As I pondered turning 52 and having another birthday, I thought about those who will have no more birthdays, those who have died in the last year. Some lived long lives, others far too short. But we all
started the same way; coming alive at the moment of conception.

That is a pretty amazing thing to consider. A tiny start and then we become these diverse and unique
individuals and we make a difference in many ways to many people and to the world around us.

Gratitude practice brings me fresh perspective and new life each day. What makes you come alive?
Let's all go about the business of spreading the potential of this precious life today.

Comments