Never Again

Today I am grateful for the support that my sister Danita has and for the life of my brother-in-law Roger.

Yesterday I got home from work, went up and down some stairs, made a quick change of clothes, and then headed out for a bike ride on a beautiful fall day. I rode in honor of my brother-in-law Roger.

Roger was an avid biker and hiker. But he hadn't been able to do either in recent years. Lewy body dementia was taking over a man who was once very fit and active as well as conversational and witty.

His decline was inevitable, as was his death. Roger died late Sunday. Not only will he never hike or bike again, he will never draw a breath again. 

Never again. So final. So heartbreaking for his wife, my sister Danita, and others close to him who witnessed his decline and deepening dementia. 

The list of "never agains" just kept growing as Roger's dementia progressed.

Consider today what you would miss most on your list of "never agains" and cherish it. Honor it.

Rest in peace Roger.

Comments