Gobble, Gobble

Today I am grateful for an opportunity to both get a run in and help out a worthy community organization yesterday morning. I am also grateful for a friendly little game of Yahtzee with Darcy and Sam.

I always think of my dad when we play Yahtzee. It was a game he really enjoyed and we played it often when I went home to visit.

I was also, not surprisingly, thinking about turkeys and "gobble, gobble."

The run we did is called "Gobble Gait" and conditions were balmy compared to last year. It was well below-zero with a brisk wind last year. Yesterday it was still warm enough to rain. The organizers were able to announce before the run that they had surpassed the $1,000,000 fundraising mark this year, after starting small about 18 years ago. The event benefits our local family service. Great job to all who help carry out this wonderful Thanksgiving morning tradition!

The rain turned to snow and the snow gobbled up the grass in our yard as Darcy and I enjoyed a little time on our front porch watching the first snowfall of the season.

Then there was the turkey and other traditional foods that we sat down to enjoy later in the afternoon as well. I gobbled up what Darcy, with a little help from me, had worked to prepare. Then Sam and I tackled the clean up job.  And there are plenty of leftovers to gobble up as well.

Which leads me to a final thought for today's post. The leftovers will soon be gone and the snow will eventually melt, but gratitude is never all gobbled up. There is always more. Just breathe, pause, pay attention and you will find it.


Comments