Large and Growing

Today I am grateful for my family-the one I was born in to. I appreciate what that experience has brought to my life and my own family.

Large and growing. That's my family of origin. What started with the marriage of my mother and father in 1950, now numbers over 100 and continues to grow. A new member joins the clan this weekend when my niece Linley marries Jess.

There are some things that you definitely don't want to have large and growing-like flood waters, forest fires, and cancerous tumors. A large and growing family is a gift in many ways though. We celebrate the joys with one another, like weddings. And we support each other through the losses and the grief some have had to face, like the recent death of our brother-in-law Roger.

We have created many memories and shared much laughter, conversation, and food among other things.

It is a gift that comes with challenges too. It is hard to know everyone the way I wish I could. It is hard to get conversations in at gatherings with everyone. There is a little sadness in the vastness of my family number.  But mostly there is appreciation to be part of it.

I will be taking a blog break for a few days as we travel to celebrate the wedding of Linley and Jess.

Have a good day and a nice weekend!

Comments