Heart to Hand

Today I am grateful for the wisdom I hear from others in recovery. I am also grateful to be a writer.

I have been doing less pen to paper writing for blog drafts and column ideas in recent months. I have the Blogger app on my phone and a free app that allows me to word process some document drafts on my phone as well.

Part of me appreciates the time I save. But another part of me is saddened by this trend. Writing saved my life in my younger years. It allowed toxic emotions a way out before they did me in or I did myself in. Pen to paper. Taking the physical action of writing with pen in hand on the paper in front of me gives more credibility to what comes out, and gives more freedom when released from my mind. Heart to hand.

Writing continues to enhance my life and help me embrace it more. In recent years, there has been more keyboarding on a computer or finger-pecking on my phone. It is not pen to paper, but it is still heart to hand.

I do look for ways to keep the pen in hand. I have a little book in my purse with a pen attached. I put ideas in when I think of them. Some days, I carry a piece of paper in my pocket. An idea has sprouted and I try to nourish it throughout the coming hours and days. It keeps my writing self close at hand, even in the midst of a busy day.

Whether pen to paper or fingers to keyboard, the vital part is heart to hand.

Comments