The Barbed Wire of Life

Today I am grateful for warm blankets on cool evenings and for our home. As temperatures go down this time of the year, I think about those who will struggle to stay warm, who lack homes and blankets.

Here is another photo from a recent visit to my family's farm. If you look closely, you can see a barbed wire fence in the foreground. My brothers have fencing because they have beef cattle and sheep. I grew up with barbed wire fences. I knew how to carefully cross them or duck under the electric ones. I knew their purpose and I respected it.


When I think about barbed wire today, I think about many lessons it can offer. Being careful around sharp objects always seems wise. What about people who like to throw harsh barbs? Maybe I can steer clear of them and take the long way around. Maybe I can make sure I am not being harsh.

No matter how careful we are though, some barbs will get us. Whether thrown by others, by circumstances, by chance. Life isn't always smooth sailing. (If it was, we likely wouldn't appreciate it.)

It is what I do at those times, how I handle myself and the situation, that truly determine how well I am doing. Or not.

Barbed wire reminds me there are places I can roam free and other places I need to proceed with caution. Sometimes those places are in my mind and heart.

Comments