A Memory Sparked

Today I am grateful for old songs and how they can bring back old memories. I am also grateful for new memories that keep being added to my life's story.

Yesterday on my way to work I heard one of those old songs-"Rock Me Amadeus" by Falco from 1985. It brought back memories of my softball teammates and listening to that song when we traveled. Hearing it yesterday got me wondering what my teammates have been up to all these years. That is thirty years. Wow!

After college, I only kept in touch with a handful of my teammates. But it would sure be a kick to have a reunion and see everyone. That's how I see it anyway. Others may not care or wish to reminisce about those younger days. For months out of those years we were teammates. We spent many hours together practicing, playing games, traveling, eating meals, and sharing hotel rooms. We got to know each other, laughed a lot, and covered many miles.

These years have passed quickly for me. I am happy with where my life is at and how I am feeling about it. I didn't always feel or act that way back in college though, that's for sure. The memories that the old song on the radio sparked were pleasant ones. Softball was a positive experience in my life. Drinking and my own mental, emotional, and spiritual health at that time were not such pleasant ones.

Time gives us perspective. It also gives me a large amount of gratitude. I am here to head into this new day. I am glad to be here and I look at today as an opportunity, not drudgery.

Comments