Fortune Cookies

Today I am grateful for rain and for finding just the right outfit . . . for our upcoming marathon.

My husband, son, and I enjoyed a local Chinese buffet last evening and shared our fortune cookie quotes with one another. I was looking for an idea for a blog post, the three quotes provided it.

"You will soon discover how truly fortunate you are."  This was my son Sam's fortune. He asked me if I had written it. I smiled. He said it sounded like something I would say. I wonder what he thinks of his gratitude-loving mother. Apparently, he at least notices. I'll take that.  And I will add that because of gratitude practice I believe I am a better mother than I might otherwise have been.

"As a cure for worry, work is better than whiskey." This was my husband Darcy's fortune. He and I are alike in many ways. One way is that we are both worriers. We just tend to worry about things in different ways.

We differ in that he is a normal, temperate drinker and I am an alcoholic in recovery. I used to use alcohol to placate the worries temporarily. Then I quit drinking and began using work to fill the hole I had filled with alcohol. That was using work to deny the worries, to deny my feelings. It was better than whiskey, but still far from contentment. Today, being grateful for who and what I have in my life and seeking balance leads to peace.

"You will take a chance in the near future." This was my fortune. I didn't read too much in to this one, and I don't anticipate a big chance opportunity soon. I look at it as the more mundane chances. Getting up and starting my day. Crossing the street with our dog. Hitting publish on a blog post.

Life is full of opportunities and chances to make a difference. I can't pursue every one, but I can pursue a few with heart and soul and it does matter. Fortune cookies or not, I am a very fortunate person today.

Comments