In the Same Boat

Today I am grateful for the varied ways I have to connect and communicate with family and friends. I am also grateful for the nice stretch of weather we have been having.

"In the same boat" is a phrase used to commiserate and relate with others. It brings a sense of unity, of pulling together to get wherever this particular boat is headed, or get it headed in the right direction.

I am in the same boat with other alcoholics working on recovery, with other cancer patients hoping to rack up more years of survivorship, with co-workers dealing with the same challenges and rewards. I learn from others in my boat, and I feel more secure. There is a strength in numbers, especially if the numbered ones are all rowing or paddling together to get somewhere.

I barely made it into the boat of recovery before drowning myself in alcohol. Now recovery is a sturdy lifeboat, not a flimsy raft. To be in the same boat with others in recovery has allowed me to travel through the world and see it with a healthy perspective instead of a dead end view. I am deeply grateful to my fellow travelers in this particular boat.

My husband Darcy and I are in the same boat this morning as we anticipate, prepare for, and will soon head out on one of our longest training runs this season. I am also deeply grateful for this shared commitment and time together.

There are times, however, when I don't want to be "in the same boat" with others. Thankfully, I have learned to swim and paddle enough, and have faith in my Higher Power, that I can row and steer my solitary boat when I need time to myself.

Have a good day, a moment at a time.

Comments