Broken Wings

Today I am grateful for opportunities to give and serve. I am also grateful for the beginnings of fall color.

Yesterday as I was walking along the Mississippi River in our downtown, I spotted a bird soaring high above. I quickly noticed that this bird, probably some type of a hawk, was missing part of one of its wings. Some feathers or structure were definitely lacking. Nonetheless, the bird was flying, soaring seemingly effortlessly.

I don't know that bird's broken wing story, but I know mine. I didn't get the attention and emotional support I needed growing up. I started drinking at 14, and was abusing alcohol well before I graduated from high school. I didn't learn to fly until I was well into my twenties, and soaring was still out of the question. That took until well into my thirties. (I don't blame my parents or my upbringing for my inability to fly early, but I do acknowledge that some things in my upbringing held me back in my journey.There were other factors from early in my life that contributed to my flying success when I was able to summon the courage to actually try it.)

Fortunately I had learned to fly fairly well, with the help of a loving Higher Power and many supportive people in my life, before my breast cancer diagnosis at age 42. The broken wings were no longer figurative, taking on a literal turn with bilateral mastectomies. For weeks and months I regained full use and range of motion in my arms and shoulders. Although down a couple of body parts, I am a more complete person than I have ever been.

From "flying high" in a drunken state, to soaring in recovery from alcoholism, to learning to fly differently after a cancer diagnosis, I appreciate my broken wings and what they have taught me. I also appreciate the daily work required to keep in flying shape.

I know the stories of many others with broken wings. We all have them don't we? I hope I help others with wing repair by being a good listener and a supportive, positive person. Grateful to everyone who has helped me with wing repair over the years, I feel deeply blessed to wake up to try out new flight patterns each day.

Comments