Set.

Today I am grateful for a game of catch with my son Sam yesterday. I am also grateful for conversations that help me grow in understanding.

Set is today's word. Ready. Set. This may be the toughest of the three words I am posting about. Set. Wait. Patience. That's what comes to my mind. I may want to go, I may feel the need to proceed, but something says "set" and that I need to give it a little more time.

Having been a track runner, I am comfortable in the "set" that is heard at the starting line. It is only a moment, and then we are off to the races, literally. The tougher "set" is the stuff of waiting and being patient when I want answers now, when I want a resolution as soon as possible, when I want to move beyond these unpleasant feelings.

I only set myself up for more frustration and unpleasantness if I proceed too quickly in certain situations, or if I enter a situation that really isn't my business. Sometimes set means set yourself aside. Get out of the way.

"Set" can be a challenge, but it's necessary. Whether in that brief moment at the start of a real race; coiled, tightly wound, waiting for the go-ahead to unwind, to spring forward. Or in those longer time periods that life requires; when we simply need to wait for things to play out as they are meant to, when we need to resist the urge to try to force an outcome, when we need to trust others and our Higher Power.

Set. Set yourself up for a good day by letting life unfold rather than causing it to unravel.

Comments