Running to Reflect

Today I am grateful for my morning walks with Oliver and for the role that running has had and continues to have in my life.

I am heading out to run a half-marathon this morning-the Apple Blossom Races. Darcy and I have both run this race a few times, but not since 2009. I will  be going solo today, and in ways that is fitting. I am running to reflect and I am running in celebration. Celebration for life. The life I continue to be blessed with five years after a breast cancer diagnosis.

My diagnosis was early stage. I had three surgeries and went through four rounds of chemotherapy. But I came far closer to dying from my other disease-alcoholism-than I have from cancer. I hope it stays that way. But I know that there are no guarantees. Cancer is mysterious and cunning. It could rear it's ugly head in my life again. I don't live in fear of that, but I do live with a sense of mortality I didn't have prior to May of 2008.

I take actions to live a decent life--physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Could I do more? Sure. We all could. I do the best I can day to day, and gratitude is always part of that "best."

And I realized that it was thirty years ago today that I graduated from high school. My stepdaughter is just days away from her own high school graduation too. More to reflect on as I run this morning.

I'll take it stride by stride, step by step. You do the same and have a good day!

Comments

  1. You inspire me with your determination and your courage =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your efforts to write about gratitude daily as well.
    We all have challenges. We can focus on the negative or look for the positive. You are looking for the positive and helping others in the process. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment