Hills Anyone?

Today I am grateful for a good half-marathon run yesterday, for my family, for the lush green that has emerged in the last couple of weeks.

That half-marathon kicked my butt. Or more accurately the hills kicked my butt. I knew it was a hilly course-I've run it before. But I guess I forgot how hilly-one after the other. I didn't count, I just tried to conquer the hills one at a time. I was hoping to come in under two hours, but when it looked like that wasn't going to happen, I accepted it. I cut myself more slack than I used to. My 2:08 time wasn't shabby and I reminded myself that it was really just about being out there, able to run, able to participate in life, hills and all.

I typically don't walk up hills when I am running. It's a psychological thing for me. It may zap my physical strength a bit with each hill, but it gives me mental strength, and that's just as important to a runner as physical strength. I am stubborn too. I don't want a hill to get the better of me.

I did do some reflecting, but the running and the hills required plenty of my focus. I did think of my own cancer journey, but I also thought of those who have died of cancer, of those currently undergoing surgeries and treatment to address cancer. I thought about family members and friends who are facing their own challenges on many fronts.

I returned to gratitude, appreciating being able-bodied, appreciating the experience, painful hills and all. I finished. For myself, but also for those who can't run at this time.

Like the literal hills I ran, the figurative ones in life can be overcome. One step at a time. One day at a time. With gratitude to help paint a healthier perspective.

Comments

  1. Hills are not my friends lol.. i will happily live vicariously through you Lisa! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't call them my friends either, but we get along okay as long as they aren't too long and steep. We don't always get to choose our hills though, do we? Thanks AnnMarie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment