Five Years Out--Beware of Complacency

Today I am grateful for a cooling breeze and yet another commencement to attend. This one will be for the seniors at the school I work at. It is a good time to reflect on the connections I have made with some of these young people over the last 4-6 years.

The computer issues have yet to be resolved, but we'll just keep rolling with it.

I also continue to reflect on my cancer diagnosis anniversary. I say this with some caution, but I also say it because I think some people have a misguided perception. There is no "home-free and cured" when it comes to cancer. There is only NED-no evidence of disease. Many statistics talk about 5-year survival rates, but that does not equate to "if I make it five years, I'm safe."  I am very grateful to be five years out from my own diagnosis, grateful that many people I care about have made it five years and beyond. But I also know many who didn't make it five years, or suffered a recurrence or metastasis many years later. I won't be lulled into complacency.

No medical professional can ever guarantee anyone that their cancer won't come back. They can bandy about statistics and be reassuring that we've done all we can, but they don't have cancer's crystal ball. Those cells are sneaky, mysterious, and full of questions. That's why more research funding needs to be put to use finding some answers. (Not to get side-tracked, but pink ribbon hype isn't helping much in my opinion.)

For some, the cancer won't return. But for others it will, within a few months, a few years, or even decades later. Technically, I'm not a cancer survivor until I die of something else. Does that sound fearful or cynical?I was simply going for realistic. I don't live in fear. When it does come calling, I don't let it stay long. I don't live in hypervigilance either. But I am vigilant about noticing if there's anything going on in my body that seems different. So far, so good. But if something comes along, the first thing I want ruled out is a recurrence or metastasis of my cancer.

I do many things that are good for my physical health-no smoking, no alcohol, plenty of exercise, lots of water, plenty of fruits and vegetables. I do many things for my mental, spiritual, and emotional health too-starting with practicing gratitude and applying the tools of faith. I could do more, but alas I am human.I do pay attention though, and that's a good start.

Gratitude and a cancer diagnosis both keep me from slipping into complacency.

Comments