Gratitunity

Today I am grateful for food, clothing, and shelter-the basics we so often take for granted. I am also grateful for warm clothes at a chilly baseball game.

I appreciate that my sister Zita provided me with yet another gratitude word and the focus of today's post. She is the fourth sister to do so. Read about the first three words here.

No pressure on my other three sisters. (You know who you are.)

Zita created a word and definition that call us all to action. The word is gratitunity and she defines it as any opportunity to express or feel gratitude.

Opportunities abound for both feeling and expressing gratitude every day. But action is required for both. I can feel some gratitude just by thinking about it, but generally the feeling runs deeper and more intensely if I combine action with it. Gratitude journaling, A-Z gratitude lists, quiet time on my commute, gratitude letters, a sincere thank you face-to-face, a gratitude walk or run . . . and the list goes on.

I have said often when discussing the power of gratitude practice with others that self-pity and gratitude cannot coexist. Where I decide to focus my thoughts and energies is what I am going to end up experiencing. I used to experience self-pity much of the time, and I fed it with my stinking thinking. Eighteen years of intentionally practicing gratitude have helped me change my default mode from one of "never good enough" to "I am worthy and deeply blessed."

Blogging here on "Habitual Gratitude" gives me the regular opportunity to express gratitude. It has enhanced my level of gratitude and shortened my forays back to self-pity. Whereas self-pity closes my mind and heart to blessings, gratitude opens me to them.

We are busy in our lives and it can seem hard to find time to do everything we may want to do. Gratitude teaches me to prioritize and that taking a few minutes (or even seconds) to notice my surroundings and my good fortune is always worth it. Some things can wait-that load of laundry for example-but I should always take time to express and feel gratitude.

Seize the gratitunities that present themselves today. Thanks for the inspiration Zita!

Comments

  1. "Gratitunity" is a great word! I think that any effort we make to acknowledge those opportunities for gratitude make a difference in our attitude and happiness. Thank you for sharing and helping me with my gratitude commitment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great word isn't it? It reminds me of "carpe diem"-seize the day! Seize the gifts of this day. Gratitude can make a huge difference in my outlook. That's why I try to practice it regularly. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment