Five Years Out-- "Keeping Perspective Revisited"

Today I am grateful for the opportunities to make a difference in the lives of others, and grateful for the many people who make a difference in my life. 

I am also grateful for the perspective I have today...five years to the day since my breast cancer diagnosis was confirmed, two days after a MR-guided biopsy. The time has gone quickly, but I have tried to take each day as the gift it is.

I wrote a poem called "Keeping Perspective" between my 3rd and 4th rounds of chemo in October of 2008. For me, it was one of the most powerful poems I wrote during that time. It is really about being grateful rather than feeling sorry for myself.

Keeping Perspective

What’s sadder than
           Having cancer?
Not knowing you have it
           And it keeps growing

What’s sadder than
           Losing your hair?
Losing your life
           And second chances

What’s sadder than
          Being afraid to die?
Having nothing to live for
          And forgetting joy

 
Last evening, as I reflected on this 5th anniversary, I decided to write a new poem.
Here it is:

Keeping Perspective Revisited
What’s worse than being breastless?
          Not appreciating the body that remains

What’s worse than fearing cancer’s return?
          Taking days and daily gifts for granted

What’s worse than being a cancer patient?
          Not letting life’s experiences define and refine


Last year's post on my diagnosis anniversary can be read here.

It's still about gratitude. It always will be. That is the perspective that brings me richness and fullness of life.




 

 

Comments

  1. You are a gratitude inspiration Lisa... Thank you for sharing your story and your poetry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AnnMarie! It's great to have others out there who are also trying to embrace the power of gratitude. Onward!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Lisa, your poems are so beautiful. The way you have chosen to look at things is really something. I tend to be much more cynical. Thanks for reminding me there is always much to be grateful for. And wow, five years, that's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! I choose gratitude, but it takes work. Some cynicism can keep us cautious and that can be a good thing.
      I try not to stay cynical because it tends to zap energy I want to use for other endeavors. Thanks for commenting and sharing in this anniversary.

      Delete
  3. Lisa, i HAVE ENJOYED READING YOUR GRATITUDE BLOGS AND ENJOY THE FRESH PERSPECTIVE YOU OFFER. It is touching to read about your journey and you so instill faith in universe and the abundance bestowed upon us.
    God Bless Alwayz!!!!
    With love and gratitude,
    Sangeeta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and nice to hear from you Sangeeta! Opportunities are indeed everywhere if I slow down, pay attention, and remember to be grateful for the gifts of each day.

      Delete

Post a Comment