Happy Birthday Boys!

Today I am grateful for the wisdom I learn from others in recovery. I am also grateful for my stepson Arthur and for our dog Oliver.

Arthur turns 22 today and Oliver turns 5. Happy birthday boys!

I met Arthur when he was 6 1/2. Now he is a college graduate, poised for graduate school and a dietetics internship. He is also just a couple months away from his wedding to fiance Alyssa. Our family will be growing. Watching Arthur grow up and being part of his life has been a gift to me in many ways. Arthur is a great big brother to his siblings and he and my husband Darcy have a solid and good relationship. Within seconds after meeting him, Darcy was talking about his kids. Arthur and I gave each other a chance right away, and today we have mutual respect. Thanks Arthur!

Oliver came into our lives when he was about two months old, in July of 2008. I was awaiting my first surgery to address the cancer in my right breast and I was going crazy. Oliver became a good distraction and then he became my buddy. I often say that Oliver and my post-cancer self grew up together. It's true. He is a good teacher, teaching me to slow down, take care of the basics, and always be happy to see the ones you love. He has brought so much to our family as well. Thanks Oliver!

It is only the 7th and already in May there has been a birthday for Alyssa, my brother Linus, my brother-in-law Clay, and now Arthur and Oliver. I am blessed with family, friends, and a pet I love.

That's a good thought to start the day with. Have a good one!

Comments