Freedom Rider

Today I am grateful for a bike ride with fresh air and speed. I am also grateful for headphones with high quality sound, so I can lose myself in a song.

I was energized last night, after catching my second (or third) wind of the day. I felt like going for a bike ride and Darcy joined me. It was humid and sticky here, so I enjoyed the chance to get a good breeze going.

I was also continuing to reflect on being five years out from my cancer diagnosis. I don't usually wear my prosthetics at home, so it was just me, my scars, and a t-shirt enjoying that refreshing breeze as we gained speed going down hills. There is a freedom in that feeling, a freedom in recognizing a silver lining that came out of the dark cloud of cancer.

"Freedom rider" came to my mind as we biked along. Gratitude to be physically able to bike, to be alive and well, to not be undergoing debilitating cancer treatment. Gratitude for a good bike, a helmet that fits, and a variety of routes to travel. Gratitude for my husband beside me.

Then thoughts about my other disease-alcoholism-came to mind. Recovery is freeing. Addiction was a prison. I owe much to many, including my Higher Power and friends and family who support me in my recovery. This debt I owe is paid back by trying to live with kindness and gentleness, with compassion, for others and myself.

Freedom takes many forms. Gratitude, gratituderty, always brings freedom because it releases the bondage of self-pity and "never good enough." Here's hoping you find your freedom today.





Comments

Post a Comment