Super

Today I am grateful for a good movie to watch in "The Help." I'm also grateful for a chance to talk to my friend Beth and for the prayers I can offer to others. It is all I can do in some cases, but it is something.

Super is a word passing many lips this weekend because of the Super Bowl football game. I am a pro football fan, so I do like the game and I get a little sad knowing the season will then be over. It's the only pro sport I care to watch. I go way back to some Sundays when I was tired and often hungover in my younger days. I would fall asleep on the couch during the first game of the day and then wake up to eat supper and watch the end of the second game. Memories.

But I get a little tired of the hype surrounding one game; the week of pre-game, the commercials, the half-time show, and so on. So how about a little different look at super.

According to Merriam-Webster here are some of the various meanings of super:

1. of high grade or quality, used as a generalized term of approval
2. very large or powerful
3. exhibiting the characteristics of its type to an extreme or excessive degree 

The second and third meanings seem to fit the Super Bowl, so let's talk about the first meaning.I am not one to use the word super very much. But when pressed, and when looking at the first definition above, I can sure come up with some super things in my life:

*my marriage
*my parenting/step-parenting experiences/lessons
*friendships I have been blessed with
*the difference our dog Oliver makes in our lives
*our 10 marathon runs/finishes
*the relationship I have with some of my co-workers
*recovery and a growing faith
*journaling. blogging, and other ways to practice gratitude


The dividends of gratitude are indeed super! Go invest in some.


Comments

  1. Lisa, What an interesting angle you bring to the Big Game weekend. I'm sort of relieved it's over. So much hype before hand almost makes it seem less "super" when it actually comes to be don't you think?

    And nice list of super things in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy,
    It sure does seem that anything that is too hyped in advance is going to fall short of expectations. But I must say the game itself got interesting at times. There's only one Super Bowl a year. I try to appreciate super things in my life daily. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment