Coaches

Today I am grateful for a good morning greeting from our dog Oliver and I am grateful for the opportunity to present to others on the topic of gratitude tomorrow.

I also appreciate the many coaches I had in my younger days, and my own coaching experiences.

As I spoke of favorite teachers and a little bit about my own teaching, it was a likely place to end up going to thoughts of the coaches I had over my years involved in competitive sports. Some taught me what to do, others showed me what not to do.

When it came to running and track, I think of Jim and Sara. Jim was also my 8th grade teacher, but was the first to foster a more serious approach to running. We didn't have a track team in 8th grade, but he took the time to write out a training program for me. Sara was my track coach my junior year of high school. I had three different coaches in my four years of high school track. Sara stood out, and ranks as one of my favorite coaches overall, because of her approach. She was always positive and encouraging, that right mix of push and inspire while having fun and recognizing us as teens. She was one of the reasons I decided to pursue coaching myself. Thanks Jim and Sara, wherever you are today.

I also played softball and basketball. I had two softball coaches in high school, Bonnie and Denny. I later went on to coach with Bonnie and I will talk about that wonderful experience in a different post. I loved the game of softball, and I appreciated the varied approaches that Bonnie and Denny had. I also appreciated that they saw the big picture. This wasn't just about fundamentals and how to defend a bunt situation. They saw that this was also about developing young lives and instilling values. We didn't win any championships, but we had a lot of fun and I grew as a teammate and a young woman during those seasons.

I played softball through four years of college as well. My coaches were many, my experiences with them varied. But they all helped shape me as an athlete, and as the coach I later became myself. They are part of my life experience and I appreciate that.

Comments