Happy 82nd!

Today I am grateful for my mom and her continuing health. I am also grateful for perspective-that today is a blessing in and of itself and I need to revel in it. My friend Dorothy reminds me to thank God for the little things.

Today is my mom's 82nd birthday. Happy Birthday! It was nice to be with family to celebrate this weekend. We have tried to get home for Mom's birthdays for the last few years. It seems more important to me-since Dad died, and let's face it, there is a sense of "how many more will she have?"

One of my early posts was called "Parental Wisdom" and is about a line Mom would use with us.Read it here. Today I appreciate spending time with my mom, but she will always be a bit of a mystery to me.

Here is a picture we came across this weekend. It is from Mom and Dad's 25th wedding anniversary in 1975. Dad was 51 and Mom was 44. Look at those smiles!

 
I do appreciate that my mom and I have some things in common, some things that will forever connect me to her. We are both journal-keepers. Hers are more about family and farm happenings and the weather. Mine pour out my deeper thoughts and feelings along with the chronology of my life. But we have both chronicled our lives and that is a treasure.

Mom and I also share a love of the outdoors and the changing seasons. She is always in tune to that and I grew up with an appreciation for nature that continues to be important in my life. She still takes her walk most mornings, after she feeds her chickens.

Have a nice day Mom!

Comments