Master Teachers

Today I am grateful for all of the teachers I have had over the years, both in schools and in life.I am especially grateful for Mrs. Becker and Mrs. Walker.

The last two days I blogged about a little booklet Sam created and how at the end of it, he thanked me for teaching him about life and sports. That got me thinking about some of my own teachers.

Mrs. Becker was my 3rd grade teacher. Prior to that year, I don't recall liking school very much and my siblings tell me I would sometimes have physical complaints and could stay home for a day. (I guess I was playing hooky.) I was shy, insecure, and couldn't keep my "sh" and "ch" sounds straight, among other things. Mrs. Becker was different than the other teachers I had had, and she brought an energy and enthusiasm to teaching that I needed. I don't recall details, but I know I started liking school more. The only specific memory I have was playing bingo in class. But as the year went on, my feelings about school changed and I ended up never avoiding school again. Mrs. Becker is now the principal at that little school I went to. I realize that when she taught me, she had to be in one of her first years of teaching. Nearly forty years later, she's still committed. That's a master teacher.Thanks Mrs. Becker!

Mrs. Walker was one of my high school English teachers. She had that mix of humor, knowledge, toughness, and compassion that really struck a chord with me. I liked reading and especially writing, so I took several classes with her. I recall some great discussions and some good laughs together. She pushed me to think beyond my own experience. She made the learning fun and motivated me to continue. By the time she was my teacher she was likely in her sixties. I wrote her a letter of thanks when I was in college or shortly thereafter. She has since passed away. But mine was just one of the many, many lives she touched. Thanks Mrs. Walker!

It turns out that this thread has me thinking a lot about teachers, teaching, coaches, coaching. So I guess I have fuel for a few more posts.

Have a good day, unless you've made other plans.

Comments