Life's Classrooms

Today I am grateful for the feeling of putting pen to paper, as well as the power behind the keys on my keyboard as words form on my computer screen. I am grateful for the power of writing in my life.

And I thank the many teachers who have taught me in a wide variety of life's classrooms.

Mrs. Becker and Mrs. Walker are just two of many master teachers I have had the opportunity to learn from and work with over the years. I had several college professors. . . at Waldorf College, the University of Northern Iowa, and Buena Vista University. . . that pushed me, that had me looking forward to class, that awed me with their level of knowledge, energy,  and passion, and that were just a little crazy, because that's what it takes. In my ten years of teaching, I worked beside wonderful teachers who showed me the way and who set the standard of excellence high. The last 15 years I have been working as a school counselor, but continue to have the privilege of working with teaching professionals who impress me with their techniques, their flexibility, their communication skills, and this seeming innate ability to reach all different kinds of students. And do it all with a smile on their face and love in their hearts.

I have also had many teachers in the classroom of recovery from alcoholism. People who share their own experiences so I don't feel so alone. People who share how they get through tough moments and days without a drink. People who practice honesty and humility and use those as springboards to personal reflection and growth. People who are walking examples of what gratitude practice can do.

And then there's the classroom of cancer. I have had fellow cancer patients and others teach me about grace, about facing fear, about keeping a routine, asking the tough questions, and not forgetting to laugh.

Some of my favorite teachers are right here at home. My family. And our dog.

Today I appreciate the teachers I have had and still have.

Comments