Chocolate and Hearts

Today I am grateful for tools like BSN-breathe, surrender, now-to help me approach my day with more acceptance and willingness. I am also grateful for traditions.

One more post to linger over Valentine's Day just a little longer. My husband Darcy comes through each year with a heart-shaped box of candy for me. My dad always gave my mom a heart-shaped box of candy every Valentine's Day. And then Mom would share that candy with us kids (which means she probably didn't get much herself). I share too.

I always remembered that from my growing up days. I didn't see a lot of affection expressed between my parents, but this gesture seemed like such a sweet and romantic one to me. Dad would sign cards to Mom "Love, Art." I hung on to such gestures because they were few, at least in my memory. I believe my parents had a strong love, they were just of the generation and upbringing where it wasn't expressed outwardly too much. That is a pattern I have definitely broken with my own family. Hugs and "I love yous" are common.

I have a couple of the heart-shaped boxes that Dad gave to Mom among my treasured possessions.I keep the ones that Darcy gives me too, and I put some of the things I save in them.

But the chocolate doesn't last long. I LOVE chocolate. Too much. But I justify it this way: I don't drink and I don't smoke, so I get to have some chocolate.  If it's in the house, I'm going to eat it. So that means I need to keep it out of the house if I hope to meet my Lenten goal-giving up five pounds. Many of you are familiar with giving up something for Lent as a form of sacrifice and preparation. I think it is also good to do more of something positive. So I will continue to practice habitual gratitude and see where it leads.

Have a good day! Are you giving up/adding something for Lent?

Comments