Simple Abundance

Today I am grateful for warm blankets and acceptance.

I am also grateful I came across Sarah Ban Breathnach's book Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy. It was on the bookshelf at the B and B we stayed at last weekend. I had my own copy years ago and referred to it for a time. Then, honestly, the size of the book overwhelmed my personal space and I stored it away. It is nice to revisit it.

I sat down and read through Breathnach's foreward again and loved these words:

"Simple Abundance has enabled me to encounter everyday epiphanies, find the Sacred in the ordinary, the Mystical in the mundane, fully enter ino the sacrament of the present moment. I've made the unexpected but thrilling discovery  that everything in my life is significant enough to be a continuous source of reflection, revelation, and reconnection..."

Wow! Thank you for these words Sarah Ban Breathnach. They are beautiful in how they capture what the practice of gratitude has done for me. I love the phrase "everyday epiphanies."  It can be easy to get stuck in a rut, to feel uninspired and unmotivated. But I find that regular practice of gratitude prevents that from happening because the recognition of daily gifts also brings daily energy and motivation. And to "fully enter the sacrament of the present moment" reminds me to slow down and be aware. Awareness is key to gratitude. We can't appreciate what we are unaware of.

Pick up that journal. Take that walk. Do a gratitude list, or an A-Z list on your way to work. Do 3 x 3 (http://habitualgratitude.blogspot.com/2012/05/3-x-3-better-perception.html). Write that next gratitude letter. Sit in silence and reflect for a couple of minutes today. Any of these will help lead you to the simple abundance Breathnach talks about.

Comments