Track in Time

Today I am grateful for the strength of my marriage to Darcy. I am also grateful for Oliver and how he will sometimes come and sit under the desk while I am at the computer.

It is Saturday morning and I have running on my mind. Darcy and I will go for a run a little later.Last Sunday morning we were staying at a B and B in Calmar, Iowa, home of my high school alma mater South Winneshiek. That afforded me the opportunity to go for a run and take a couple laps around the old track at South Winn. The track itself hasn't changed much in all of these years, though nearby athletic facilities have gotten an upgrade.

My love of running began early and I ran track in high school. I was pretty successful in the 800 meters and 1500 meters, and I usually ran a relay, anchoring it if it was the 4 x 800. I loved track and worked hard in the off-season to get ready for it. It kept me from totally going over the edge as my drinking progressed. And the success I had gave me some positive self-esteem to offset the downward spiral of self-hatred that was underway.

I went into coaching and when I graduated from UNI (the University of Northern Iowa) in December of 1987, I went back home and started subbing in local schools. I got the head girls' track coaching job at South Winn that spring. After landing my first social studies teaching job at South Winn later that summer, I continued as the track coach for the next two years as well.

Coaching has created some of my fondest memories in all my working career. I had the opportunity to work with and get to know many wonderful young women. We had a lot of fun too. One of the highest compliments I received from an athlete was "You helped me believe in myself."  What a gift to be able to take my passion for the sport and help others have some fun and success with it. Success being about much more than what place was earned in an event. At that time, we even hosted an invitational on our home track. My nostalgic run last Sunday brought back memories of those days.

Those two laps brought back good memories and gave me some perspective. My own high school running days were over nearly 30 years ago. My track coaching days at SW were over 22 years ago. I am now 47. I wonder sometimes how I got here so fast. But I am sure glad to be here. Still running. Still living life. Still appreciating the positive experiences I have had along the way.

Track in time. Back in time. Thanks for the memories.

Comments