An Anniversary and "On Your Left"

Today I am grateful for the wisdom, experience, strength, and hope that is shared by others in recovery and how it inspires me. I am also grateful for spiritual growth and a God I trust today.

Today is the 14th anniversary of my father's death. He died suddenly of a heart attack at age 74, doing what he loved to do--working on the farm. One of my greatest sadnesses is that my son and stepchildren never knew my dad. Sam and dad would have really enjoyed each other's company and sharing farm talk. Time softens the grief, but we still miss you Dad!

Switching gears to point two of today's post, the type of gratitude I focus on in this blog usually goes beyond good manners and saying thank you, which is what some people first think of when gratitude comes up. But there is certainly value in good manners. I was grateful last evening as I took a bike ride that there are courtesy rules for trail use.

We have miles of trail in our community and we bike and run on those miles often. Staying right is helpful for safety and two-way traffic. "On your left" is helpful when passing someone from behind. When I am running, I appreciate hearing "on your left" from a biker or faster runner before they cruise on by. If I am the one passing, I always say "on your left." I don't want to startle anyone or risk injury to any of us out there enjoying the outdoors. People appreciate it when good manners apply to trail usage. We hand out thank yous to others and they hand them back to us. It is one of those places that complete strangers can offer kindness and consideration to others and everyone benefits.

The little things do matter.  Have a good day! 

Comments