Not Just a Run

Living gratefully today, I say thank you to my husband Darcy for the many ways he supports me and cares for me. 

I have been on tens of thousands of runs over the years, but can honestly say that none have ever been "just a run." Each run clears my head and lets some new creativity show itself. It keeps my muscles and my digestive tract working. It allows for time to myself and out in nature. It does my heart good in the physical sense and so much more. 

As I took a couple of runs over the weekend, it hit me just how much more a run is for me when I make it part of my day. Even with no marathons to train for anymore. Even though our local Thanksgiving Day race will not be held. Even though cold weather is already here and will be here plenty over the next months. 

Each run is an exercise in living gratefully, stride for stride, breath by breath, inspired thoughts and deep connections with the world around me. Here are some examples of more than "just a run" that I took yesterday:

*Snowflakes fell as I ran. I thought about how each flake has a place and is part of the water cycle. It reminded me that all 7 billion plus people on the planet have a place and matter too. The dignity of a tiny snowflake and human dignity. 

*At one point I ran past a little girl out with her father. Just a toddler, she was enjoying the snow. I said "hi and have a good day." The little girl, with a little prompting from her dad, first said "hi" back and then "you too."  The sweet innocence of young ones. It reminded me that I have a responsibility to help keep this world a healthy place for future generations.

*As I neared home, I ran past a small pond. There was thin ice forming. It would have been dangerous for people to try to walk on it, but it was enough to support a few leaves that had fallen. It reminded me that I am just one part of an amazing natural world.

Not just a run. A trip into grace and gratitude. 

Comments