Fresh Tears on a Friday

Today I am grateful for heartfelt memories and fresh tears on this Friday morning, October 23. 

October 23 was a Friday in 1998 too. It was the day my dad died, and the memory remains vivid. 

My husband Darcy and I were with our son Sam last weekend, and he shared with us a reflection paper he had written for one of his classes. In the paper, he mentioned his Grandpa and the tractor Dad is on in this picture: (I am not sure the year this picture is from, but it is likely in the 1980's.)

Sam never met my dad. That has always brought sadness to my heart. They would have enjoyed one another's company. Sam's written words reminded me that they do have connections. Many connections really. One is that they both drove this same tractor, a John Deere 4020, bought new in 1967. 

It is the same tractor pictured in my recent post here

They sat in the same seat, felt the same engine, turned the same steering wheel. And I know they both shared the joy of fresh air and farm land stretching ahead of them. 

I cried fresh tears this morning, and some were tears of joy and connection. I miss you Dad. And I am so grateful to be part of your legacy, so blessed to honor your memory and share it with your grandson. 

Comments