Knife-Edge of Uncertainty

Today I am grateful for the smell of coffee--both before and after it is brewed. I am also grateful for the smells of fall. The air has been colder than average lately, but the crisp aromas of autumn come through.

Here's a recent quote that rings so true right now:

                 "It's that knife-edge of uncertainty where we come alive to our truest power."                                                                                                    (Joanna Macy)

We have been living on a sharp edge of uncertainty for months now. Some days the uncertainty is dulled by a sense of normalcy that would have seemed nothing like normal until mid-March of this year. On other days, we wait, almost with bated breath, for another bottom to fall out, for the latest curve ball to be thrown. 

It's a dangerous place to be, this precipice with jagged rocks below. Or is it where we always reside, and we just didn't realize it until a global pandemic came along to remind of us how little is really in our control?  How often do I put my focus on the rocks below and forget to look up at the sky, the opportunity? Forget to feed faith and believe I can soar?

Those are some heady questions. I return to Joanna Macy's ending words above. I can only come alive to my truest power when I am present in this moment and believe that there is a reason for me to be here, that I will be shown what to do next. 

I can keep pacing back and forth near this edge, or I can take a leap of faith and proceed. What will I choose? What will you choose?  


Comments