Acceptance, Acceptance, Accident

Today I am grateful for good burgers and weather conducive to outdoor eating. I also appreciate that it is Friday and that the work week has been productive and not too overwhelming. 

Great Spirit showed up for me yesterday morning, just to make sure I was paying attention. That’s what my concept of God tends to be about... me getting a few of the many guiding messages sent my way throughout the day. Don't get me wrong. I know my Higher Power is always there, and it is me who needs to show up. 

On the days I forget to show up, I am too busy in my head or embroiled in some ego flare-up that wants to make some situation all about me. One of the many benefits of practicing gratitude is that it helps me show up more often to life, to the moment I am in. 

Yesterday, I had just written about acceptance in a couple messages to others. Acceptance is always needed but not always found, for a variety of reasons. (See paragraph above.) Then I started out on my commute to work, heading to an early meeting. I encountered several slow vehicles, some in the left lane hampering those of us who maybe speed just a little. 

After the second and third dawdling vehicles, I smiled. Here I am, having just written about acceptance and here are some real life lessons. I would still make it to my meeting on time. I even thought about the bigger picture. Things like maybe this couple of minutes here is saving me from a potential accident down the road.  

And as I neared school, sure enough there was an accident at a stoplight. Recent enough that no emergency vehicles had arrived yet. It didn't look too serious, but most likely threw a wrench into the days of the people involved. Our days are filled with close calls and near misses we often never realize. 

Our days are filled with many gifts and opportunities that we often miss too. A little acceptance goes a long way in keeping us fully present and more open to noticing the gifts and opportunities. If you are like me, acceptance comes and goes. A consistent faith in a Higher Power brings meaningful reminders like frustrating traffic and accidents. 

What have been some meaningful reminders and lessons on acceptance in your life lately?  


Comments