The Right Fight (R.I.P. RBG)

Today I am grateful for the soothing sound of wind chimes that remind me of my sister Mary Jo. I give thanks for the wonderful legacy that Ruth Bader Ginsburg created for us in her lifetime. 

History is made this morning when RBG becomes the first female to ever lie in state at the US Capitol. (Rosa Parks, as a private citizen, was the first female to “lie in honor” at the US Capitol in 2005.) It is fitting that this fine lady and lawyer is so honored.

Her tireless efforts have helped so many women have opportunities for firsts in their lives, careers, and families too. She lived through the same obstacles in her own law school and early legal career that she then helped tear down. And I do mean tireless. She was known for long hours of work and family time and short hours of sleep. 

President Bill Clinton appointed her in 1993, and she became only the second woman to reach the Supreme Court. I always respected her, but I only knew part of her story. As I have learned more, I appreciate her all the more. Her humility and humor, her persistence, her love story with her husband of 56 years, Marty, only further my admiration. 

Small in stature. Mighty in impact. Rest in peace Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

I close with these words from her: 

"Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." 




Comments